1. Voter REGISTRATION is not the same as VOTER ID. In order to vote in Wisconsin, you must be registered to vote. To see if you’re registered at your current address, you can check online at: https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/RegisterToVote


  2. You have to REGISTER if:
  • You’ve never voted in Wisconsin before;
  • You’ve moved since the last time you voted in Wisconsin – even if you just moved across the street or to a new apartment in your building;
  • You haven’t voted in four years or more and have been taken off the voter registration rolls; or
  • You were taken off the voter registration rolls because of being convicted of a felony, and now you’re “off paper” and want to vote again.


  • There are many ways to register:
  • You can register with a special registration deputy (until Oct. 19);
  • You can register by mail (until Oct. 19) (here’s the form: http://www.gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/gab_forms/4/gab_131_voter_regi... );
  • You can register at the Municipal Clerk’s office or your early voting site  until the Friday before an election (Nov. 4);
  • You can register at the polls on Election Day


  1. To register, if you have a current, valid Wisconsin driver’s license you need to put the license number on the voter registration form.
  • If you have a valid license but don’t know the number, get it from the DMV by calling 608-266-2353.
  • If you don’t have a license, YOU STILL CAN REGISTER. Just write your state ID card number or the last four digits of your Social Security number on the registration form.
  • IMPORTANT: You need photo ID to vote, but that doesn’t have to be a license, and you don’t have to have photo ID to register.


  1. To register you have to show a document with your first and last name, and current (voting) address.
  • The document must be valid on the day it is used to register.
  • You can show paper or electronic copies of these documents.
  • If it’s on your smart phone or tablet, you just show it to the person registering you.
  • If you are registering by mail, send a copy of the document with your registration form.


  1. You CANNOT use credit card bills, collection notices, magazines, or personal mail to register.
  1. The document with your name and current address can be:
  • a recent utility bill (electric, gas, cell or landline phone, cable, internet, etc.);
  • a lease (unless you are registering by mail);
  • a WI drivers license or ID card;
  • a contract or intake document prepared by a residential care facility that says you currently reside in that facility;
  • any ID card issued by a WI governmental body (like a fishing/hunting license, or concealed carry license);
  • an employer ID card with your photo and home address (but not a business card);
  • a bank statement;
  • a pay check;
  • a WI college/university photo ID along with a tuition fee receipt;
  • a letter from any agency that serves homeless persons (does NOT have to be an overnight shelter – can be also day shelter, church, meal program, etc.);
  • any government document or check like:
  • Car, truck and other vehicle registrations;
  • Speeding tickets, underage drinking tickets or other municipal tickets;
  • Food stamps (SNAP), Medicaid/Badgercare, Wisconsin Works (W-2), and Wisc. Shares, letters, notices, benefit statements, or paperwork;
  • Social Security and SSI notices, letters and benefit statements;
  • Medicare Notices and Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) (not from  private health insurance providers);
  • Unemployment compensation notices, letters and benefit statements;
  • Public high school, public technical college, public college and public university letters and documents, including: admissions correspondence, financial aid notices, report cards, and class schedules;
  • Federal or state government financial aid letters & notices (not from private entities like Sallie Mae or Great Lakes Higher Ed. Corp.);
  • Public library letters or records;
  • Court notices and paperwork;
  • Police reports;
  • Tax refund checks or notices from IRS or Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue;
  • Billing statements and collection notices from a governmental entity;
  • Letters from a federally recognized Wisconsin Native American tribe;
  • Letters, notices or paperwork from city, town, village or public school district; city, town, village or county clerk or treasurer’s office; etc.;
  • Letters, notices or other paperwork from state agencies like Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV or DOT), Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR), Dept. of Workforce Development (DWD), Dept. of Health Services (DHS), Dept. of Children and Families (DCF), and many others
  • Letters, notices or paperwork from federal government, like Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Social Security Administration (SSA), & many others;
  • Veterans’ Administration (VA) papers like letters, notices, & medical records.


If you have other questions about voter registration, “like” Wisconsin Election Protection on Facebook  or follow @EPWisco on Twitter & message or post there.

If you do not have access to Facebook or Twitter, you can email questions or concerns to vote@aclu-wi.org and we will respond as soon as we can.

You can also call the Wisconsin Elections Commission at 1-866-VOTE-WIS (1-866-868-3947) or check out their voter information center, http://www.gab.wi.gov/voters