If you have had a negative interaction with a law enforcement agency or officer, you may want to make a complaint against that agency or officer. (A complaint is not a lawsuit, but instead a way for a Department to investigate and potentially take action against improper behavior). You need to file the complaint with the department the officer was from. State Law Enforcement Agency Complaint Form Information is available at the bottom of this page under "Documents."

There are usually deadlines to file a complaint; check with the department against whch you are complaining. You will normally need to include:

  • Your personal information (name, address, phone number)
  • The date and time of the incident
  • Any other information you have, such as photos and videos, or witnesses.

Different departments have different processes for investigation, but after your complaint is submitted you should receive more information about what will happen next.

Separately, if you might want to seek money damages on state claims, you need to file a written  “Notice of Claim” within 120 days of the incident with the agency in question. That is a separate legal process from the agency’s internal complaint process.