Planned Giving: Create a Legacy of Liberty for Future Generations

The American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin has been protecting and promoting the civil liberties and civil rights of all Wisconsinites, in a non-partisan manner, since 1930. You can create your own legacy of liberty by making a gift to the ACLU of Wisconsin or the ACLU of Wisconsin Foundation through your financial and estate plans. Gift planning is a great way to make a lasting contribution to the ACLU while taking advantage of favorable federal and state tax laws.

A legacy gift is a great way to demonstrate your commitment to the Bill of Rights and can be an effective part of your personal financial planning. Remember that defending First Amendment rights, equality and privacy rights requires constant vigilance and support.

Here are some ways you may contribute:

Name the ACLU in your will
The most common planned gift is a gift through your will. You can arrange a gift of a specific amount, a percentage, or all or part of the residual of your estate.

Beneficiary designation
Naming the ACLU as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy or retirement fund is a simple and effective way to support the future of civil liberties. While most Americans use insurance policies to provide financial security for their loved ones, such policies can also be used to fulfill charitable goals.

For tax purposes, you should be aware that the ACLU of Wisconsin and the ACLU of Wisconsin Foundation are two separate but related legal entities, each with a different tax status. The ACLU of Wisconsin engages in unlimited lobbying activities, making it a 501(c)(4) organization. This means that contributions and bequests to it are not tax-deductible. The ACLU of Wisconsin Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization, is primarily involved in civil liberties litigation and public education. All contributions and bequests made to the ACLU of Wisconsin Foundation are tax-deductible.

For more information on gift planning and advice, please call the development office at (414) 272-4032, ext. 228.