Help build our growing statewide Wisconsin affiliate of the national ACLU, during this important time.
The ACLU of Wisconsin has made its top priority the Campaign for Smart Justice: a multi-year effort to cut Wisconsin’s prison population by half, and to eliminate racial disparities in our criminal justice system. At the same time, alongside our ACLU colleagues across the country, we work on other critical issues including immigrants’ rights, voting rights, and racial and gender justice.
Based in Milwaukee, reporting to our executive director, and working with our staff and board members, our manager of finance and administration will provide internal coordination and control, track our growth, and help to make it sustainable.
Primary Tasks & Responsibilities
Oversee grants, and provide reports to funders and our staff members whose work the grants support;
Coordinate annual budgeting activities, including monitoring expenditures throughout the year;
Manage our annual audit, preparing for it systematically throughout the year;
Provide financial reports to our executive director, treasurer, and department directors;
Work with ACLU national office in New York on issues unique to ACLU finances;
Prepare monthly internal review of donations;
Maintain financial records for our Wisconsin offices and chapters;
Manage purchasing and contracts with vendors.
- Financial management experience;
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in finance or accounting;
- Solid writing skills and attention to detail, for communicating with staff, board members, and funders;
- Service orientation, toward members of our staff, board, volunteers, and donors;
- Dedication to staying on top of projects and priorities, following through, and meeting deadlines;
- Ability to manage a number of responsibilities simultaneously and flexibly, pushing through obstacles;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and finance software;
- Comfort working both independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to maintain and ensure confidentiality;
- Occasional evening and weekend availability to support meetings of our board and committees;
- Availability to travel to other parts of Wisconsin for work meetings (roughly four days per year);
- Eagerness to work in and contribute to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace;
- Understanding of and commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
- Experience in human resources administration and providing professional development opportunities;
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks and experience with ADP;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience;
- Work experience in a nonprofit setting.
Compensation starts at $50,000 per year. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, medical and dental coverage for staff members, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and an optional 401(K).
Please send your resume and a letter of interest by email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Put “Manager of Finance & Administration” in subject line). You may also apply by mail, to ACLU of Wisconsin, Attn: Manager of Finance & Administration Search, 207 E. Buffalo St., Suite 325, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Please feel free to let us know your preferred name, pronouns, etc.
To ensure that we receive your application, please do not use any other ACLU email address.
We will accept applications until at least Sept. 20, and we welcome yours!
The ACLU of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or veteran status. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact us at email@example.com.