Fighting and pushing forward against attacks on civil rights and civil liberties, the ACLU of Wisconsin has entered an exciting new phase. We need a Director of Finance and Administration to work closely with our Executive Director and other leaders to monitor and ensure stable growth, to make others’ work easier and more efficient, to help manage our staff, and to ensure equity and inclusion.
The Director of Finance and Administration is a member of our organization’s leadership team, reporting directly to the Executive Director. The position has primary responsibility for the fiscal management of our organization, human resources, and administrative functions. This is a full-time, regular exempt position, requiring occasional travel but based in Milwaukee.
- Providing or managing financial support and financial reporting
- Coordinating annual budgeting activities, and monitoring expenditures year-round
- Managing annual audit and required filings
- Coordinating bids, purchasing, and contracts with vendors
- Working with our national office on reconciliation of shared gifts and other issues unique to ACLU finances
Administration and Human Resources
- Ensuring consistency and support for an efficient, organized, and secure office environment
- Updating policies, and ensuring staff follow them
- Reviewing and managing employee benefits such as health insurance
- Handling staff inquiries about benefits and policies
- Fostering an organizational culture that embraces equity and inclusion throughout our work
- Providing for effective professional development and training
- Supporting our Treasurer, finance committee, Board, and chapters
- Supervising our office manager and office volunteers
- Managing job searches and orienting new staff
We require at least a Bachelor’s Degree to demonstrate a basic level of skills in such areas as accounting or management. Our ideal candidate has several years of management experience in a growing nonprofit, with responsibility for human resources and the quality and content of financial reporting.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience with financial management and budgeting
- Responsibility for human resources, including providing support for staff and ensuring consistent employee evaluation
- Strong written and interpersonal skills, especially for communicating about finance and policy with colleagues
- Ability to work closely with diverse groups and individuals, with experience and commitment to fostering equity and inclusivity
- Technology savvy, including knowledge of Excel and financial software (currently we use Quickbooks)
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail, and strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects under deadline
- Supervisory experience
- A commitment to the mission of the ACLU and the advancement of social justice
The ACLU offers a starting salary of at least $50,000 for this position and a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including more than four weeks’ paid vacation time (12 days, 7 office holidays, and 4 floating personal days), paid sick leave, medical and dental coverage for staff members, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and an optional 401(K).
Please submit your resume and a letter of interest (with salary requirements and mention of where you learned of this career opportunity) by email, to email@example.com (Put “Finance and Administration” in subject line). You may also apply by mail, to ACLU of Wisconsin, Attn: Finance & Administration Search, 207 E. Buffalo St., Suite 325, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
To ensure that we receive your application, please do not use any other ACLU email address. We will accept applications until Feb. 18 or until the position is filled, and we welcome yours!
The ACLU of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or veteran status. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.