Help build our growing statewide Wisconsin affiliate of the national ACLU, during this important time.
The ACLU of Wisconsin has made its top priority the Campaign for Smart Justice: a multi-year effort to cut Wisconsin’s prison population by half, and to eliminate racial disparities in our criminal justice system. At the same time, alongside our ACLU colleagues across the country, we work on other critical issues including immigrants’ rights, voting rights, and racial and gender justice.
Based in Milwaukee and reporting to our Executive Director, our Administrative Assistant will support the ACLU of Wisconsin’s work and to manage the day-to-day operations of the organization.
Primary Tasks & Responsibilities
Ensure an organized and functional office space, and make sure that everyone has what they need to do their jobs well;
Greet office guests, answer phones, and direct inquiries appropriately to other staff members;
Schedule, attend, and support our Board of Directors at its meetings, as well as committee and staff meetings (this might require evening hours roughly once a month, plus Saturday hours six times a year, and we will offset this by reductions to the regular weekly work schedule);
Orient, manage, and support volunteers, including providing support for volunteers who handle our legal intake;
Follow and implement policies, such as those in our Employee Handbook;
Manage daily personnel matters such as leave tracking and time sheets, and to orient and assist new and departing staff members;
Develop and maintain organizational records, keeping everything neat, secure, and clearly labeled;
Help with other projects and tasks as needed—we all do!
- Service orientation, toward members of the public, our staff, volunteers, and chapters;
- Dedication to staying on top of specific tasks, following through, and meeting deadlines;
- Positive attitude, with ability to communicate clearly, push work through obstacles, and adapt;
- Strong attention to detail in written documents (such as preparing neat, clear meeting notes);
- Ability to manage a number of responsibilities simultaneously;
- At least one year of previous administrative experience;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- Comfort working both independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to maintain and ensure confidentiality;
- Availability to travel to other parts of Wisconsin for work meetings (roughly four times per year);
- Eagerness to work in and contribute to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace;
- Understanding of and commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
- Experience or training in human resources administration;
- Bookkeeping experience;
- Experience with QuickBooks;
- Experience handling confidential information;
- Work experience in a nonprofit organization;
- Proficiency in Spanish.
Compensation starts at $16/hour. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, medical and dental coverage for staff members, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and an optional 401(K).
Please send your resume and a letter of interest by email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Put “Administrative Assistant” in subject line). You may also apply by mail, to ACLU of Wisconsin, Attn: Administrative Assistant Search, 207 E. Buffalo St., Suite 325, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Please feel free to let us know your preferred name, pronouns, etc.
To ensure that we receive your application, please do not use any other ACLU email address.
We will accept applications until at least Sept. 20, and we welcome yours!
The ACLU of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or veteran status. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact us email@example.com.